Here is a short interview I did in Oxford, UK
In the last few years Life Coaching has become more and more popular but as it is a new profession most people don’t know enough about it to decide whether it is right for them. We hope this article will clarify what coaching is so you can make an educated decision for yourself.
We have all heard of sports coaches. In the old days they were the sports “trainers” but today all high performance sport stars have a mind coach; a person who strengthens their belief in themselves and in their ability to win. Even though Life coaching is not primarily about winning or losing, it is about “winning” the life you choose to live.
Life coaching has become so popular because many of us are tired of doing what we thing we “should” do. We have become aware that we have a choice to do what we want to do!
Be aware that coaching is not a therapy. In therapy the goal is to give you an understanding of your past in order for you to have the awareness of how you became who you are today. Coaching is movement oriented and action based. Where therapy looks back, life coaching looks forward – towards your future and a “better”, more fulfilled YOU.
Your Coach will assist you to identify specific goals and objectives and will help you to stay focused so you can reach those goals faster. A good coach will provide you with the tools, structure and perspective to make the journey easier for you and she/he will make you accountable.
Did you know that people who are accountable are 7 to 10 times more successful than others?
Coaching works in all aspects of your life from relationships, to lifestyle, to career, health and wealth improvements. It focuses on strengthening your skills and improving and trusting your abilities. It helps you to meet and exceed your potential in order to be your best.
Coaching is similar to consulting. Yet, where consulting frequently provides only temporary solutions, coaching is consistent and on going. The Coach stays with the clients to help implement new habits, skills, and changes. Another distinction is that consultants usually give advice and tell people what to do while coaches focus on assisting their clients to discover the solutions themselves. Or in other words, we don’t give you the fish; we teach you how to fish.
We focus on what you want to achieve and help you maintain your commitment to yourself and your dreams and visions. We look at where you are now in relation to where you want to be. Are your ideas and goals based on your true core values? What are your strength and weaknesses and how can we use this knowledge to your advantage?
Our society is looking for a deeper meaning as we begin to understand that we grow from the inside out. More and more people are freeing their time and resources to invest in themselves because they realize how simple it can be to accomplish something big if you “get a little help from a friend”.
So why not use a trusted friend? As wonderful as it is to have good friends, they are emotionally involved and do not have the objectivity and distance necessary to see where you stand and what type of assistance you need. Have your friends or family ever been shocked because you made a move in a new direction? Have they ever told you that something can’t be done or is not done the way you want to do it? Quite frequently our well meaning friends and family are the “dream stealers” not the supporters we need. Because of the emotional distance a coach is a trusted professional who works with you on improving the most important aspects of your life.
Why would you want a Coach?
You might want a coach because…
- you want to grow
- you want to be more productive
- you want to become more balanced
- you want to find new and more efficient ways to do things
- you want to make a mark
- you want to define and live a life of purpose
- you want new perspectives
- you want to change certain aspects of your life
- you want to reach new goals
- YOU WANT MORE!
How long do you have to commit to your coach?
It is not so much a commitment to your coach as a commitment to yourself. Give yourself time; 3-6 months at least. What has taken you a lifetime to become cannot be changed in a day. However sometimes even one single session can make a life changing difference.
If you need help on a specific short term project, you should consider one-on-one coaching to help you accomplish this specific goal faster. If you need motivation and a step by step process to move you out of feeling stuck and unfulfilled, do group coaching.
Why does life coaching work?
- The synergy created between you and your coach creates momentum.
- Better and clearly defined goals support you to move towards your “dream life” faster and with less effort.
- You develop new skills and habits which translate into higher success and a more balanced life.
There is never a better day than today to start your “new” life. Sign in for your Membership at www.yoursuccesscycle.com
TO YOUR SUCCESS
Author and Master Coach
I just met Vincent Genna and like what he does. It is very much in line with what I believe and teach. Therefore I will post it here over the next few weeks but if you prefer you can go directly to his blog too. It is http://www.vincentgenna.com
Here is your first exercise for week 1:
Everything in life was NOT created by thought. It was created by BELIEFS. If thoughts alone were our creating powers, than all the screaming babies in the world would have no voices, and everyone who cut you off on the road would be dead! We have a lot of thoughts every day, including daydream and fantasy thoughts. They don’t all come to fruition after having them. That’s because they are not powered by anything. Beliefs empower your thoughts! Thoughts focus the energy we create from our beliefs. Since, we are connected and one with a Greater Power, Higher Source, Unlimited all Loving Being, God, or whatever you wish to call it, we create everything in our lives either consciously or subconsciously. I am attempting to help you learn how to create your life consciously. That way, you will create the things you want, rather than the things you don’t want.
Edgar Cayce was a famous contemporary “Sleeping Prophet” who said, “Spirit is life; mind is the builder; and physical is the result.” In other words, what you believe (spirit), gives life and empowers what you think (mind). And what you think, creates your physical world (result). So, for your first exercise this week, you’re going to empower your desire statement by believing it is a real part of you that you truly believe you want.
Part 1-Read your desire statement out loud, not just silently in your head, and say it with as much feeling and desire as you can. Feel it as a real and meaningful desire, not just as a flippant want. Change it from being just words, to being a real part of you. Say it with passion!
Part 2-Then close your eyes and envision the pad or piece of paper you wrote your desire statement down on in your mind. Then, make yourself see a cord coming out of the pad or piece of paper and connecting right to where your belly button is, just like an umbilical cord! It doesn’t make a difference what type of cord it is, but I want you to see your desire statement actually attached to your body and as if you are feeding your words your energy. When you are visualizing this, you can see electrical energy radiating from your body to your desire statement, light radiating to it, or even blood. Whatever you choose or want, just see your desire statement attached to you and you feeding it. It is best to attach it to your belly button because that is actually your solar plexus chakra and where your energy flow converges.
This is how we were fed and kept alive in utero, so that how we are going to feed our desire statement for this purpose. I know it may sound funny, but try to make it as real as possible for you. It’s ok if your visualization goes in and out. Just keep trying to see it as best you can. The better you can do this, the more you will be empowering your desire. Remember, do both parts of this as often as you can throughout the entire day for the whole week, and let it be one of the last things you do before you go to bed tonight. It becomes easier each day. Also, jot down anything you notice during the day that may be different, as well.
Good luck to all!
I second that! Have a wonderful day and an even better life!
We are getting ready to create a miracle in our life. Are you following us?
From Vincent Genna’s blog: http://www.vincentgenna.com/2011/05/17/create-a-miracle-week-1/
I only have a few requests if you choose to participate:
1) You have to take this seriously and really want something to happen, or at least be willing to give it a concerted effort;
2) You need to create and write down a desire statement. This is a concise written description of exactly what you want to have happen by the end of the 5 days. It could be for clarity about a decision you need to make, or even a job opportunity. Heck, if you’re trying to sell a house, it could even be for that. Just make your desire statement as clear as you can with as many details as you want to go along with it. The more detailed your desire statement is, the more chance there is of something happening for it. Just make it reasonable! Winning the lottery may be beyond the scope of a 5-day miracle!
3) Then each day, pay attention to any changes or signs or thoughts that might be about your desire and JOT THEM DOWN in a journal or on a piece of paper you keep. This is very important! Writing things down helps you to keep your eyes and ears open, so more help can come. You certainly don’t want something significant to get by you without notice because you are caught up in life;
4) You need to read my mini-ebook, About You, (go to above website to get the book) to start you off in the right frame of mind. It will take you no more than 15 minutes to read. You can get a free copy of it here, on the right. Feel free to pass it along to anyone else you think might benefit from it.
5) Finally, you have to commit to completing this experiment from start to finish. If you stop midway, you will never know if something great could have happened for you. I am not going to disrupt your day with crazy requests that will make it so difficult for you to participate, so give it the full four weeks.
See how simple that is, and won’t it finally be great to tap into all you are capable of doing? Ask your friends and family to listen in, as well. The more people we get to participate in “Create a Miracle”, the more powerful this will be. Listen in to my radio show each Monday, at 1:00pm EST (or Barbara’s radio show each Tuesday at 1:00pm EST) and call in with any questions or comments. Let’s discuss anything you may be having difficulty with.
I invite you to follow Vincent’s recommendations.
All in Love
CREATE A MIRACLE
Did you know that the most key ingredient in making everything we attempt become a reality, that the most fundamental and innate ability we have, that the most talked about and taught practice in every self-help and spiritual book, that the number one most important element of our spiritual and physical existence, most of us have completely lost tract of? Before I tell you what that innate ability is, I would like to conduct an experiment to attempt to bring that most important trait back into light.
With your help, I am going to attempt to create a miracle in your life! If you would like to change or add something in your life, get clarity about something about a decision, see a dream come to fruition, get a promotion at work, or heck even get a new job, then this is where you need to be for the next four weeks. It will not take much of your time each day at all. In fact, it will help you to practice some of those things- you-should-be-doing-everyday-for-your-well-being anyway.
Here is what is going to happen. Every Monday for the next four weeks, I am going to give you a VERY simple exercise to practice each day for the week. THEY WILL BE SIMPLE PRACTICES, THOUGH THEY MAY BE DIFFICULT TO DO CORRECTLY!
Here is my declaration. Within the next four weeks, if you follow ALL I say to do and with passion and belief, you will begin to see your desire or dream coming to pass! Suddenly and unexpectedly, over the next four weeks, or possibly sooner, you will see or hear your desire begin to come to fruition! Give me just four weeks of your time and heart, and I will give you the ability to create a miracle in your life! It’s that simple!
It works all the time for everyone who puts the time in. Let’s discuss that point for a minute… Several people told me in the past when I did this that they wanted to do this or started to do this, but then ran into time constraints. Really? You can’t take the time to create a miracle for yourself? There are four primary reasons why you won’t have the time for this:
1) you already have all the miracles you want or need. Really? Then you need to be a guest on my show to help others create their dreams!
2) you don’t believe you can create anything. If you are on my website reading this, something is telling you this may be a possibility. Besides, you may be tired of being a victim in your life. Now you want to be an active participant controlling the moves;
3) you’re afraid you won’t be able to make it happen. Self-doubt is a very normal fear. However, it speaks to a deeper issue of not believing in yourself and who you truly are. Then for sure, you need to be doing this and listening to my show. Let’s conquer that fear together! And,
4) you’re afraid it will happen! In actuality, this is the majority of people’s fear. As Marianne Williamson wrote, “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” This is very true. Admitting this gives you the responsibility of having to live up to being co-creators with God, and that scares the hell of you! You know the saying, “Ignorance is bliss?” Here is why this is a realistic fear. You have gone through your life learning how to cope with what has come along. Ok, so you dealt with the good as well as the garbage that has come your way. If you acknowledge that you had the ability all along that you could have created it differently, that would make you kick yourself where the sun don’t shine even more than you already do. Also, since you have learned to cope without creating the life you wanted or fulfilling your dreams, you would go through such disappointing pain if you were able do it once, but then lost the ability to do it again. So, you’d rather not try altogether. WELL, IT’S TIME TO GET OVER YOURSELF AND START LIVING UP TO WHO YOU TRULY ARE-MAGNIFICENT AND POWERFUL BEYOND BELIEF! You know you are miserable NOT being who you are.
Whichever one of these four fears you fit in, what do you got to lose to try? The least that will happen is that you will be no worse off than you are today, but you will have an amazing stress-reduced four weeks from my exercises. The best can be is that you learn how to create the life and miracles you want!
To be continued tomorrow…
Do you ever get angry?
If not, you are a Saint – Congratulations!
If yes, do you stay angry for long?
Can you actually be upset for hours or even days?
Did you know that one hour of anger takes as much energy as 12 hours of normal work? Doesn’t that make one wonder whether our anger is worth that much of our time and energy?
What do you get out of being angry and upset?
What are the benefits for you?
It is important that we ask ourselves these questions because being angry can easily take most of our energy even though issues we are uptight about today are probably of no consequence tomorrow. And in the overall scheme of life they are nothing – nothing more than a speck of dust, right?
The other day I wrote a really nice, soul searching article – online – and as I pressed save the article just disappeared. All those lovely thoughts – gone! Believe me, I was more than a little upset. Upset about the lost time and the lost thoughts. Angry because I should know better than to edit stuff online. Most servers have a time out limit and all your efforts are gone if you pass that. It was not the first time this has happened to me but this time I hope I learned the lesson.
Anger is an emotion and it comes up whether we like it or not but we can get it under control.
If you are alone take a few deep breaths and let your anger out when you breathe out. Breathe in and out very slowly until you feel calm again.
Should you ever feel ready to explode count to 10 before you speak (well, at least until 5) and never, ever write an email or letter in that state. Not unless you want to lose that relationship. Written words are much more hurtful because they don’t go away. They are still there when the emotion is long gone and they might be read by the other person in the wrong moment. All of the above tips help. For me the best one is writing about what made me angry and I can usually totally let go of the emotion of anger. Writing about it makes you much more aware of what is happening inside of you. And from awareness to change it is only a small step.
So after my article disappearing I wrote a short entry in my blog and let my frustration out. Even while I was doing that I started to laugh because what happened really was of no great consequence and not worth losing time and energy over (even though I still think it is a shame that wonderful articles is gone to the winds :-).
Have a peaceful and happy day